Our kitchens were the unsung hero in 2020 as time was spent in the kitchen more than ever before. People were going out less and the kitchen became the focal point for the family. Unfortunately for some, that was in a small kitchen that quickly cramped their new lifestyle. However, spending so much time in their smaller kitchen has many dreaming of remodels to make it more functional and enjoyable. New kitchen remodels are booming this year and along with all the renovations come new trends! So, to help you with your remodel, we’ve got the top 8 remodeling design trends for smaller kitchens in 2021.
Design Trends for Smaller Kitchens in 2021
- L-Shaped Kitchens: This is the most popular kitchen shape in 2021. It is designed to be efficient and flow seamlessly into the next room and thus, it is great for homes that lack square footage.
- Open the room: In the past, the open concept kitchen was made popular because it opened the kitchen into the living room which made entertaining easier. After last year’s pandemic, the open concept is bringing the family in the living room into the kitchen while dinner is being prepared. An open concept kitchen also adds style and creates the impression of a more expansive space. You can minimize clutter in the kitchen with hidden storage areas built into your remodel plans.
- Color trends: Neutral colors are in trend for kitchens. Don’t worry about having them all match. That is the beauty of neutral colors! Colors like green and blue are like bringing nature inside and can be used in all different shades…muted, deep, dramatic, and bold. It pairs beautifully with many other colors and materials.
- Appliances: Choose appliances that will fit the space. For example, choose a flush mount cooktop instead of a range that takes up space. Weigh the pros and cons of using gas-powered appliances vs. electric appliances and the energy efficiency of each appliance you purchase. Becoming more popular are induction cooktops because they are easier to clean and maintain and they are also more energy-efficient and environmentally friendly. Another note to consider, appliances are moving towards matte and brushed finishes. These finishes are easier to keep clean and show fewer smudges and fingerprints. Embracing practicality is the recurring theme throughout the trends for kitchen designs.
- Countertops are trending darker, and cabinets are trending lighter and brighter. You’ll find a lot of darker stone options for countertops as well as darker wood countertops (instead of the super-pale butcher block style). These darker colors are going to offer a beautiful contrast to cabinets. Look for natural wood tones for cabinets. Wood tones will lend warmth to the whole room and look beautiful paired with the dark stone countertops that are trending.
- More on cabinetry: Forget even minimal hardware; the trend is to go without pulls and knobs altogether. Cabinetry with notches and touch latches will streamline the feel of any kitchen. Utilize upper cabinets as well by extending them upward to the ceiling so that every inch of wall space is functional. If you are looking to create the illusion of space, use fluted or dimpled glass fronts on a few upper cabinets…just not on all of them.
- Statement Pieces: Even in smaller kitchens, you can make a statement! Whether it is through different tile shapes (think outside the standard rectangular subway tile), a statement sink, or a statement ventilation hood. Any of these can become a work of art. Displaying artwork, whether it is vintage print or painting, in a kitchen is increasing in popularity. Be sure to place these pieces away from the stove or places prone to spills and splatters.
- More Natural Light: In the past, pendant lighting and task lighting were the focus. However, the more sunlight you can get into your kitchen now is better. We are all craving more vitamin D! Putting in more or bigger windows is an effort to bring the outdoors in. Natural light makes your kitchen more inviting and natural elements are instant mood boosters.
View more of our featured projects in our portfolio here.
Greater Phoenix Award-Winning Remodeler
If you are dealing with a smaller kitchen, we can help you get the most out of your kitchen by creating a greater sense of space while providing functionality and flow to your home.
Tri-Lite Builders is an award-winning remodeler with years of experience. We focus primarily on amazing kitchens, luxurious bathrooms, and large whole-home remodeling projects. Our professional designers and craftsmen will help transform any part of your home into something you can truly be proud of.
Give us a call at (480) 895-3442 for a free consultation safely in-home or virtually and we’ll help you love your home again!