Our recent blogs have focused on topics that will help you choose the right home remodeling professional for your renovation project. We’ve covered misconceptions, project costs beyond labor, and what to look for when hiring your contractor. In this blog, we give you the essential questions to ask so that you can confidently navigate choosing the right contractor for your remodeling project.
Choose the Right Contractor
Any reputable remodeling contractor should be able to answer all the following questions positively. If they cannot, it would be wise to continue your search!
- Are you properly licensed on both the state and city level?
- Do you require all change orders to be in writing to eliminate any misunderstandings and unexpected cost overruns?
- Do you carry general liability insurance?
- Do you carry worker’s compensation insurance?
- Will you provide me with a written lien waiver at the end of the job?
- Are you a member of NARI or NAHB? Do you subscribe to their Code of Ethics?
- Are you certified as a CR, GCP, CKBR, CGR, or UDCP?
- Are you a member of the local Better Business Bureau?
- Will you pull any necessary permits?
- Do you offer a written warranty on all workmanship?
- Who will oversee my job? May I meet this person or persons?
- Have you been a party in any construction litigation?
- Will you provide me with references?
- What percentage of your business is repeat, or referral-based?
- How many projects like mine have you completed in the last year or two?
- How do you plan to reduce dust and protect the rest of my home from the effects of other work? (Good contractors erect dust barriers and use drop cloths and other protective material to protect your home.)
- How is daily and general clean-up handled?
- Will you provide means of communication that is checked daily for any questions or concerns you may have thought of after working hours?
- Will you provide me with a written contract that clearly spells out exactly what you will do, what your price includes and does not include, and specifies a guaranteed price, payment schedule, and completion date?
- Will a professional designer and/or architect design my job? (For projects that warrant this level of service.)
- Do you provide realistic renderings, sketches, and perspectives to allow me to clearly visualize my project early in the planning stages? (Again, for projects that warrant this level of service.)
We hope knowing what to ask will help you choose the right contractor who is a professional in remodeling and renovation projects.
FREE CONSUMER AWARENESS GUIDE
Learn more about how to choose the right home remodeling professional with our consumer awareness guide. Our guide, “10 Things You Must Know Before Hiring a Remodeling Contractor” will help you know what to look for when finding the right contractor so that you can be completely satisfied with your remodeling project. This booklet was written so that you will be empowered to make the best decision for your home improvement and remodel. You can have the experience you desire for your home improvement project with the right contractor for you by requesting this free e-Book here.
Home Remodeling in the Greater Phoenix Area
Begin your project by calling us at (480) 895-3442 or emailing email@example.com to discuss remodeling your home, kitchen, or bathroom. We offer no-obligation in-home consultations. Our award-winning designers and craftsman are eager to work with you to help you love your home again!