Kitchen lighting is one of the finishing touches that can be the most challenging. Remodeling the kitchen is never something we embark on lightly, and we always want to ensure that your new kitchen is better than the old in every way. Lighting is something not all homeowners take into consideration, so here are 8 things to keep in mind while choosing your kitchen lighting before we even finish the design process.
- No Set Rule – Please keep in mind that there is no set of rules to follow when lighting your kitchen. Most kitchens do have ambient lighting, task lighting, and a few other types. This doesn’t mean your kitchen has to have the same types or locations. You know how you use your kitchen – let that be the guide to choosing your custom lighting.
- Improve Functionality – Everything you add or change in your remodeled kitchen should add functionality to the room, and this includes the lighting. Add over-sink lighting if you need more light while washing dishes or preparing foods, add task lighting if you need more light on the countertops or over the stove, add over-cabinet lighting for a lovely room-brightening effect, and add under-cabinet lighting if you need it.
- Decorative Options – The cabinets you choose will make a huge impact on the overall appearance of your new kitchen. Choose cabinetry with functionality in mind, but don’t forego style entirely. Some cabinetry or floating shelving for decorative purposes is good, too. Backlight glass cabinet doors to showcase some of your nicest decor.
- Pendant Lighting for the Island or Bar – We agree that pendant lighting adds a lot to a room, but you have to be picky about where it goes. You can’t really use pendant lighting over the range or the kitchen sink, but it looks pretty amazing over the kitchen island or bar area.
- Ambient Lighting – There are several ways to improve ambient lighting in the kitchen. Add canister lighting, also known as recessed lighting, add a skylight or solar tubes, or add more windows. Transom windows are a lovely way to add a decorative appeal to your existing windows while bringing in more natural light.
- Track Lighting – Another beautiful and artistic way to add ambient lighting to the kitchen.
- Control Mechanisms – You don’t want to use a single point of control for every type of lighting in the kitchen so that a single flip of a switch turns everything This wastes energy and provides far too much light for practical use. Choose multiple on-off switches and place them in strategic areas. Consider also creating a smart lighting system that you can control with your smart phone or tablet.
- Fixtures and Faceplates – Choose decorative faceplates and fixtures that add to the overall decor of the kitchen. Really take your time when searching for the perfect fixtures and faceplates, because the more you customize them, the more unique they will be.
Tri-Lite Builders is home to some of the best builders in the greater Phoenix area. We truly enjoy helping homeowners transform their homes into something spectacular. Here are several examples of our work if you would like to view our handiwork before you give us a call at 480-895-3442 to get started on your kitchen remodeling project.