A new baby brings many exciting things, of which one of them is childproofing. We bet that you can’t believe how many nooks and crannies you have in your home that a baby can get into, that you never knew were there. Hello outlets, extension cords, remote controls, penny jar… The list could go on and on.
Here are 5 tips for childproofing your kitchen:
- Electrical Elements: There are so many electrical elements inside your kitchen and they are all waiting for little fingers and little hands to reach out and touch them! You need to be a step ahead at all times and the first step is to utilize outlet covers and appliance locks. After that, you can use the back burners on your stove whenever possible and install an anti-scalding device on your kitchen faucet to keep little hands from getting burned.
- Install Corner Guards: The corners of your countertops and tables are sharp and it will only take one bump of your child’s head for them to get seriously injured. Installing foam corner guards on your counters and tables are an easy way to ensure that if your child falls they will not end up in the emergency room.
- Cover Your Trash Can: You may think that you are safe with anything that you throw away, but children are curious, and they think nothing of digging through a trash can to see what they can find. To keep temptation away as much as possible, we recommend keeping your trash can covered and even out of sight if possible. Plus, if you know that there are dangerous items in there, like chemicals, remove the bag and take it outside immediately.
- Install Cabinet Locks: Cabinet locks are a great solution to keep children out of those cabinets that they shouldn’t be in. Those cabinets are normally the ones that include cleaning supplies or sharp objects.
- Safety Gates: A safety gate can be a wonderful option to keep children out of your kitchen while you are cooking dinner, especially if you have a small kitchen. It isn’t always as great as including a child in the entire cooking process, but it can help if you are in a time crunch and need to get dinner on the table very quickly.
Kitchen Remodeling in the Greater Phoenix Area
There are many obvious things that you will need to childproof inside your kitchens, but then there are the not so obvious ones. Those are the ones that you will need to get down on your hands and knees for, so that you can see everything from a child’s viewpoint. And don’t worry, you will miss something, we all do. But, your child will quickly let you know what it is. They always do. Call us at 480-895-3442 if you’re in the greater Phoenix area and would like to schedule a design consultation for your kitchen remodeling project.