Soapstone is a material that is becoming more popular for kitchen countertops, and for good reason. It is a natural quarried rock that feels soft and soap like. The natural soapstone is mixed with quartz for countertops, so that it is more durable and stronger than it would be if it were left in its natural state.
Kitchen counters get used quite often, which is why you need to choose the material for yours very carefully. If you are considering purchasing soapstone for your next kitchen countertop, then you will want to look at the pros and cons and make the best decision that you can.
Pros of Soapstone:
- Warm and natural looking, plus is goes with almost any type of décor.
- Softer material, but since it is durable it will not get damaged as easily as other materials. If it does get scratched, it is easy to sand the scratches out.
- You only need warm water and soap to clean this type of counter. In fact, it is not recommended to use chemicals on soapstone countertops.
- Non-absorbent, so bacteria cannot penetrate the surface. This makes it perfect for food prep.
- Heat resistant, so you can set hot pots and pans directly on the counter.
- Very low maintenance, you only need to apply mineral oil on occasion to make it look more aesthetically appealing.
- Darkens over time, which creates a rustic look.
Cons of Soapstone:
- More expensive than other countertops.
- Limited selection of colors for soapstone countertops, which could be a problem if you have your heart set on a certain color countertop.
- Smaller slabs, so if you have a larger countertop, you will have more visible seams.
- May be more susceptible to scratches and scuffs over time. These can be sanded out, but that will take time and could be considered maintenance.
If the pros outweigh the cons for the soapstone countertops, then you may have found your next kitchen countertop. We know that soapstone isn’t for everyone, but the people who have it love it. We believe you’ll love soapstone countertops if they’ve already made your top three list, and they’re still a strong contender. Call us at 480-895-3442 to schedule a consultation for remodeling your kitchen. We’ll help you make the important decisions and guide you through the process.